- Annually, 1 in 25 older people in residential aged care settings sustain a hip fracture
- 1/3rd of hip fracture patients were living in a nursing home at the time of the fracture
- Approximately, 20% of older adults hospitalized for a hip fracture die within a year and about 50% will suffer a major decline in independence
SmartCells® Fall Protection Technology Solution:SmartCells® Fall Protection technology is available as: fall protection mats, fall protection, custom flooring, and build-your-own fall protection mats / flooring.
SmartCells® bedside fall protection mats and flooring provide the security of being there when you can’t be to reduce the likelihood of fall-related injuries. The SmartCells® patented, dual-stiffness structure becomes softer under impact while at the same time providing stability for balance-impaired persons and care-givers.
How it Works:
SmartCells® Anti-Fatigue products have a “resting state” much like a non-compressed spring, with a natural, supportive upright force that provides a compressible, soft surface that is also stable and supportive.
SmartCells® Anti-Fatigue Products compress and absorb pressure / impact energy from standing, weight-shifting, walking or the impact of a fall. After reaching a “critical threshold” the cellular structures soften and collapse laterally, without bottoming out. SmartCells® get softer as force is applied and remain in this cushioned “sweet spot” for as long as the pressure remains.
Compare SmartCells® ability to cushion falls:
- SmartCells® bedside fall protection mats are only 1/2 inch thick, yet reduce impact forces more than 2 times better than mats that are more than twice as thick.
- SmartCells® fall protection flooring is only 1 inch thick, yet reduce impact forces more than 5 times better than mats that are more than twice as thick.
- SmartCells® Interface Carpet-tile system can reduce impact forces even more.
“…the energy absorbed by the SmartCells® structure, per unit volume, is more than five times greater [than foam]”
—Declaration of Martyn Shorten, PH.D. under Rule 131(b) USPTO Filing
Color: For, some persons with dementia, a black mat will appear to be a hole in the ground, and will make them fearful. For this situation, consideration of a mat color is appropriate. SmartCells® bedside mats are available in grey, tan, and black.
We also offer SmartCell mats for the Shower.